Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ugh! Winter really sucks!

Yes winter is good for many things like playing in the snow, skiing (which no one in my house does), sledding (again no one in my house really odes this either), and snow angels. But there is this dark side of wither that it is like no one really knows about, it is call cold and flu season. Included in that is croup and RSV. Things like a little cold really don't do much to some people but to my kids it is HORRIBLE!!!

Take for example Rhett contracted walking pneumonia from a younger cousin. (I am not mad. This is just an example.) But his cousin just had a runny nose and was walking around fine acting just a little grumpy but mostly just the runny nose. Rhett got it and spiked 103 temps and had to be taken to the doctors and than was given breathing treatments, and antibiotics since it was in his lungs and he isn't able to keep it out of his lungs. But Rhett was home from school for a week and his temps stayed really high for 3 day minimum.

So this winter at least since December we have worked really hard keeping everyone healthy since Dylan and Rhett needed surgery. The hospital will postpone surgery's if you have been sick within the last month. So we go there on Friday with 2 healthy boys grateful that they have stayed healthy all these days. Of course Dylan is at that age where toy are funner than anything else. Then there is Rhett who love the video games. So as Rhett is playing the video games Dylan is playing with the toys. I was watching Dylan making sure is was being good and this little boy that was playing with the toys also coughed. WHAT THE HECK!! You are not suppose to be coughing in same day surgery. As I hold my breath waiting to see what happens, and of course nothing is going to happen like that meaning a split second later. DUH! What was I thinking?!?!? So of course this little boy's parents didn't say anything to him like "Honey please cover your mouth." Or "Remember to cover your mouth." My heck he should have been wearing a MASK! That is why they have them there. But since he was sick he shouldn't have been in the same day surgery place anyways!!! Ok that was my little vent.

So Sunday rolls around and Dylan is coughing this dry barking cough. WHAT THE HECK!!! NO!!!!!! He was healthy just 3 days ago. :( This really sucks. Than Sunday night he was coughing and chocking and wheezing. Holy crap little man please don't be sick. I called the bus driver and told him that Dylan was not going but he never got my call and showed up anyways. Then I called the doctors office and set up an appointment for Dylan who by this time had a whole bunch of snot out of his nose, struggling to breathe slightly. We go in and he has CROUP! I am so MAD!!! It is all because he had surgery on Friday!! Now he gets to miss school this week and try to recover from this nasty thing. He is still coughing and there is still snot coming out of his nose and I feel like I can't do anything to make him better. But for him I also wonder if the recovery time is going to be longer... What am I saying of course it is going to be longer!

Please people understand that when kids like mine get just a slight cold it is so much worse than if a perfectly "normal" healthy person gets that same cold. I was lucky that I have all the machines in my house that way I can keep the boys out of the hospital as much as I can. I can suction them, give them oxygen, check their oxygen saturation(O's), give them breathing treatments, and much more at home and if it gets to the point where I have to take them in it is really not good. I did call and talk to someone at the hospital and let them know that I was so not happy about what had happened and they need to inform more parents to keep there sick kids out of the surgery area.

So because of Dylan having croup no one really wanted to come over for Nikole's party and get their kids exposed. I don't blame them because I wouldn't want my kids exposed either if they were in my shoes. So since one 3 people were coming over we wanted to do something very special for her because everyone was there for Dylan's birthday a week ago, but not for her. So we took the kids out of the after school program early and we went bowling for an hour. Then we came home had cake and ice cream and had her open presents. She loved her birthday! She was so excited to be able to do all that she did that day. I took many different pictures until it was cake and ice cream time then it was daddy's turn to take the pictures so I am not sure how many pictures we got of her and her gift. Thank you everyone for you love and support to help make Nikole's day so happy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kids

Kids
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers