Friday, July 16, 2010

I told you so

Have you ever heard those words "I told you so." I think everyone of us breathing people have heard that before. It is words that I remember hearing when I was growing up. Well I get to say it now, "I told you so."

Rhett had his doctor appointment with the pulmonologist today and it went just as I thought it would have gone. The doctor asked why were were there and I told them it was a followup and I needed a Pulmonary Function Test(PFT) to see if there has been any changes from the time that they did surgery on him in April. Making sure he was doing ok and to get his input on sending Rhett to scout camp. Wow there was a lot riding on this doctor and his profession huh? well everything came out to be just as I thought it would.

(I thought that the doctor would do the test and tell me nothing had changed. Tell me that he would say no to scout camp. Also inform me that moving would be a good idea.)

This is how it all played out.... After we saw the doctor first he was like ok let's do some tests first and then decide what and where to go from there. so the person that does the PFT's came and got us to take us to the testing room. Ok normal yeah! Well we were there testing for 30+ minutes they also were able to get lung volume totals for the first time ever! They have never been able to get those before because of Rhett's attitude. Then after we were finally done testing we went back to the room and waited for the doctor to come in and give us the results. As we were there waiting the lady who did the testing came in and wanted to double check his height since that makes a difference on the test. she took him and found out the same thing that they had on his sheet already. As soon as Rhett came back in the room the doctor came in and wanted to go over his results. OK... Well he said we are going to start here and showed me on the paper then said this is how hard he can blow out and this is the percent of normal he is at. Normal meaning 100%. Well he was at 38 blowing and he was 34% (or was it 43%) of normal. It is one of those two numbers but I can't remember which one right now. As we look back through his chart and compare this test to others he took in the past nothing had changed. He was hanging out around the same area on both of those numbers for years! OK... the next one was this is how fast he can blow and this is the percent of normal he is. Again normal being 100%. He was at 35 strength and 40% of normal. Again we look through and compared these with the ones that he had in the past. And again he has been hanging out in the same area for years! NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! Not to happy about that but grateful that my mommy instincts are very knowledgeable. Ok so these surgeries have helped make him a little taller but the lungs have not changed.

After all that I asked him in his professional opinion of allowing Rhett to go to scout camp. He looked at me like I had lost my mind since seeing these test results and knowing that the scouts are going to be going in the high Unitas for a week. He shook his head and said that it would be too much of a risk to send him. Since it would be 5000 more feet above sea level then we already are. HE said that he strongly recommends that we do not send him just because there is too much that could go wrong and he is already breathing 100% oxygen and if he comes off of it for even 10 minutes he has a hint of blue around his mouth. GREAT! Both Rhett and his daddy were so looking forward to being able to go. Now I have my husband home for a week with nothing to do! CRAP! Oh well.

As we were wrapping up our meeting with the doctor he again said that if you can move closer to sea level that would be best for both the boys. Told him that I had been thinking about that and he asked where. I said Philly and he was so happy. Said that they have the best pulmonary department in the nation. So there we have it. What a day! And there is more but I will have to post that later.

3 comments:

brigette said...

Im so sorry!! Lots of stress! I hope you feel peace while making your decisions!!

Anonymous said...

That's got to be frustrating. I'm sorry! :( We'll keep you in our prayers!

Andrea said...

Thanks Brigette I do and I know what I need to do it is just getting it all done in time that is stressing. Thanks Stacy. I can use all the prayers that I can get.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kids

Kids
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers