Sunday, November 28, 2010

The latest ER visit

Monday night...

Well of course he didn't get home until almost 5:30 to 6 at night since he is in the after school program.

Rhett started complaining about his shoulder hurting. (He told me that he said something as soon as he came home but I didn't hear him.) We didn't think too much about that since he was at school today and playing like kids normally play. We told him that he should stretch it out and that it would get better.

So we kinda just blew it off.

Just so you know that is never what a parent should do. I know bad parenting on my part. I will do better I am sure of it. :)

So when the clock said that it was almost bed time of course we tell all the kids to go get dressed for bed. Like normal it took us telling Rhett 5-10 times in order for him to actually do it. LOL! Love the 11 year old behavior.

So after he was finished he came out lie he normally does with just pants on. Of course no shirt, it is just like him trying so hard to be what he considers "cool".

Well as he walks past me to see daddy and something on daddy's computer, I see this mark on his back. HUH??? I asked him to come back so I can take a closer look. It is on his left side right at the bottom of his scars from his surgeries. It was around 2 inches in diameter. Very red looking thing.

Soooo... What the heck is this thing???

He is to the point that he cannot even move his arm. GREAT!!! This is not what I wanted! Ok I am sure that he didn't want this either.

Well my husband and I look at each other and said at the same time... ER. So before I start getting ready to leave and take him up to the hospital I look at him and ask him if he wants a blessing.

He tells me, "Yes. Tomorrow."

So then I have to explain to him that I am taking him to the hospital that night and does he want one before we go. He said yes, so I called someone in my ward to come over and give him a blessing. They were there in less than 5 minutes. They gave him a very nice blessing and then we were able to get in the car and head out. Gavin and Nikole each gave Rhett something to remember them by. LOL!! Way funny, but very nice of them.

We head out and get there in about 10-15 minutes. The parking lot is packed so of course I am thinking that the ER is also packed. Well it wasn't! I know surprise to me too.

This is our first visit to the new and improved ER!! Let me tell you it doesn't do anything for me. I guess I am just used to the old one and the new one is just very uncomfortable.

We get back and they are checking him in and getting all of his body info. The person checking him in is very happy that we came in after seeing his back. I know that there is something wrong and I am not sure what it is. They had to take his blood pressure twice since it was high and it didn't even drop very much the second time either. The took us to a room and then we were waiting.

The doctor came and and told us the plan to draw blood to see if it was an infection. I than asked for a x-ray to compare with the last x-ray that he had. They said ok. The tech came in and got Rhett for the x-rays that they needed. To me something looked off. I have seen lots of Rhett's x-rays and this one looked like there was something just not right. After the x-rays we went back to the room and 2 doctors walked in, they said that they came in when we were at x-ray so they just waited until we got back. They took a look at Rhett and then listened to his breathing. They checked out his x-rays and didn't see anything really abnormal. They did say that there was an orthopedic doctor in the ER that night which doesn't happen that often. They paged the orthopedic doctor to come and take a look at him. Of course by then Rhett could move his arm and refused to say anything about hurting. The orthopedic doctor too a look at one x-ray and then said something to the lines of, "Nothing looks wrong. There is no reason to keep you. If there was an infection that would be a reason that we would keep you. Just talk to Dr. Smith tomorrow and then follow up with him." The ER doctors were so much nicer and more understanding then the orthopedic doctor that we saw. They knew that something was wrong and actually came and asked me what I wanted to do. They did say that they could keep him if I wanted them too but they were not sure if that would do any good. I was grateful that they were so nice and understanding after dealing with the orthopedic doctor that isn't our normal doctor.

We decided to go home and get some rest. LOL!! Yeah right like I could rest! Rhett was feeling pretty good.

I later found out that he was acting kind of weird at school not pulling his oxygen like normal and not grabbing the balls that he was playing with like normal either all Monday. Why hadn't anybody called me? Oh yeah it was no big deal. Oh well nothing like waiting to see. We called our doctor Tuesday and left a message with his assistant. Who than in turn left a message with us, LOL! Phone tag got to love it. Well his orthopedic doctor took a look at his x-rays and was able to compare them with the last one and said that nothing has changed. If there were any problems to call. Well I didn't think of it since it was starting to go away at least that is what I thought. I should have been checking it every day but I have forgotten.

So now it is pretty bad and he cannot move his arm again. Well this has been happening off and on since Monday. The bruise type thing is bigger and darker than it was before. Called the orthopedic doctor on call and talked with him. He said to see if we can wait until later the next day to bring him in, but if it gets too bad to bring him in. So we are waiting to see what is going to happen. Gave him some meds and hoped that the pain would go away but heck you never know. I couldn't go to bed until midnight. But I had to get all of this down before I started to forget anything since it was so much.

I will have to do better so that way it is all down. I will have to post pictures of this later when I have time to take some pictures.

When all of this happened to Rhett, Nikole had a break down and was crying like crazy. I asked her what was wrong and why she was crying. She told me that "I thought Rhett wasn't part of our family and now he has to go to the ER." WHAT?!?! What the heck does she mean not part of our family? I tell her that he is always part of our family and no matter what she didn't do anything to him to make him needing to go to the hospital. She needed some hugs and to calm down a little and then I took Rhett.

Oh the way to the hospital I asked Rhett "What did Nikole mean when she said that you were not part of the family?"

Rhett's reply made me laugh. He said "She got mad at me and now I am going to the hospital."

LOL!!!! Being mad at someone is different than thinking that they are not part of our family.

Love my kids they make me smile. :) I will have to post a little later today to update.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kids

Kids
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers